Please read the book listed for the English class that you will be entering in the 2018-2019 school year. Please note that students concurrently enrolled in English IV and V will be expected to read both novels. For any book for which there is a film, students may view the movie after reading the book. It is the text version that will be assessed. Use the ISBN number listed next to each title to ensure you purchase the correct edition.
Instructions for completing the English Reading Assignment
- Download the Response Template to the right of the course and book selection appropriate to you.
Note: After clicking on the link, the Template will not display on your computer screen. Rather, it will automatically download to the file you have designated in your browser as the download file. (You can find the location of this file by looking in the "Preferences" window of your web brower.)
- The Response Templates are created in Microsoft Word, if you do not have Microsoft Office, you may download a free piece of software that will allow you to open and write on the templates (http://www.openoffice.org).
- Make sure you list all your answers directly on the Response Template. The answer spaces on the template will expand as you write. The Response Template will count as a quiz grade.
- Keep the Response Template saved to a device throughout the summer. You will submit the template to the turnitin.com site on your first day of class.
- Click here to download a sample completed fiction Response Template.
Summer Readings by Grade and Class
- English 8/Reading 8: The Giver by Lois Lowry ISBN: 978-0-544-33626-1 [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English I: The Pearl by John Steinbeck ISBN: 978-1943138548 [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English II: In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park ISBN: 978-0143109747 [Click here for a message from Mrs. Abney.] [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English III: Flight of the Sparrow by Amy Belding Brown ISBN: 978-0451466693 [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English III AP: The Road by Cormac McCarthy ISBN: 978-0307387899 *The Road contains some mature content. Parents who wish for their child to read an alternative book should contact Ms. Sigler at [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English IV*: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ISBN: 978-0007350964 [Click here to download the Response Template.]
- English IV AP: Required: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte ISBN: 978-0553211405 Recommended: How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster ISBN: 978-0-06-230167-3 *How to Read Literature Like a Professor will be discussed throughout the school year. It is recommended that English IV AP students read this during the summer. [Click here to download the Response Template. Respond to Jane Eyre]
- English V* (Dual Enrollment): Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle ISBN: 978-1-439-15315-4 [Click here to download the Response Template.]
*Students enrolled in both English IV and V at the same time must read both assigned novels