The Guidance Department at Archbishop Hannan High School is a resource available to all students. Students are encouraged to meet with their counselor throughout the school year to discuss academic questions and concerns. The Guidance staff provides the following services:
- Individual Academic/Personal Counseling: Academic counseling occurs each year for each student during course scheduling to guide students toward a proper course of study. In addition, all curriculum related issues throughout the school year are the responsibility of the Counselor. Students or parents may contact the Counselor at any time to discuss personal or academic issues.
- Group Guidance Programs: Test interpretations, review of transcripts and other elements of career and college counseling are presented through selected classes to reach all students.
- Parent Informational Meetings: Both the Freshman/Sophomore Counselor and the Junior/Senior Counselor will hold meetings with parents as deemed necessary by either the parent(s) or the counselor.
- Standardized Testing: The Guidance Department is responsible for the administration of the EXPLORE Test to eighth graders and freshmen; the Preliminary American College Test (PLAN) to sophomores; and the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) to sophomores in the Honors/Pre-AP program, the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) to juniors, and the Advanced Placement (AP) exams to juniors and seniors.
- ACT Preparation: The Junior/Senior Counselor organizes ACT preparation classes, in addition to the ACT Preparation class offered as part of the school’s curriculum.
- Student Records: All report cards, transcripts, and standardized test results are coordinated through the Guidance Office.
- Scheduling: Annual scheduling of classes is handled through individual conferences with each returning student during the third quarter each year.
- Placement Services: The counselors administer the placement of all incoming freshman and sophomore level transfers.The Junior/Senior Guidance Counselor administers the placement of all incoming junior and senior level transfers.
Our Counseling Staff